Saturday 14 May 2011

我爱食糯米鸡!!

After Jesslyn's introduction, 
I would like to talk more about this delicious Dim Sum, 
LOR MAI KAI.
Please repeat after me, 我  爱  食  糯  米  鸡!!
                           Ngo  ngoi  xig  lor  mai  kai !!

Well done, you just learn a new cantonese phrase! 
(applies to non-cantonese speaking friends.)
It means I love to eat Lor Mai Kai in cantonese.

Yes, yes. 
This sentence is so true to me especially during Secondary 4 days.

I remembered during Sec 4, Lor Mai Kai is one of my best friends, besides my notes and TYS. Every time during recess, I will run down to get my Lor Mai Kai and smuggle up to my classroom to eat. ^^


The reasons being that it is 
tasty
fast (cos its ready-to-eat), 
sold by the stall with the shortest queue and 
CHEAP ($1 ONLY)!

However, little did I expect that I will be researching on its nutrition facts. 
Here it is :

Source: Health Promotion Board

The nutrition facts here show that this food is quite high in its cholesterol and high in its sodium value. This is because >20% DV is considered as 'High'. Fortunately, the dietary fiber is high too. The rest of the nutrients are considered 'medium'. 

Looking at this, I was quite shock as I have been eating this high sodium, and relatively high cholesterol food for almost ONE WHOLE YEAR! Constant intake of this kind of high sodium and cholesterol food will cause one to fall ill with disease such as Hypertension, Cardiovascular disease, Obesity, etc. Luckily, I am still quite healthy now. Maybe it is due to my active participation during P.E. 


Hence, an advice to all people who are mugging for their examinations/tests/quizzes, don't be blinded by the 'benefits' of this fast and cheap food. You might pay a higher price later! 
So, 
DO NOT CONSUME LOR MAI KAI AS YOUR MEAL DAILY!!


However, you can still take it, as a snack for about 2 to 3 times a week. 
For those who still can't stop eating it, one good advice is to balance your energy intake with energy output (EXERCISE)! 
(this also applies to all human being out there who need air, food and water)





P.S. Do you know that we have to do a minimum of 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity for 5 or more days a week. It can be walking, cycling, swimming, doing housework, etc. So do help out in your daily housework to maintain an ideal body weight! Your mommys will feel happier too! :)


Chan Mei Jun (Cindy) 0902991I



No comments:

Post a Comment